Friday, July 24, 2015

Reading through Romans-God's prayers for us

groan
Romans 8:26-27 "Likewise the Spirit also helps in our weaknesses. For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. Now He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He makes intercession for the saints according to the will of God."
Likewise the Spirit also helps in our weaknesses: When we are weak, and do not know exactly how we should pray, God Himself (through the Holy Spirit) helps by making intercession for us.
The help that the Holy Spirit brings to express our groanings which cannot be uttered may include praying in the spiritual gift of tongues (1 Corinthians 14:214-15), but it is certainly not limited to praying in an unknown tongue.
The idea is simply of communication beyond our ability to express - deep groanings within us, which cannot be articulated apart from the interceding work of the Holy Spirit.
The Holy Spirit's help in intercession is perfect, because He searches the hearts of those whom He helps, and He is able to guide our prayers according to the will of God.
Oh Dear God, thank you for searching my heart.  For knowing me completely and for making prayers for me on my behalf when I am too broken or blind to see my own sinfulness and need.  I rest in your knowledge of me and love for me!

No comments: