Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Reading through Romans-The law produces evil desire

romans
Romans 7:8 "But sin, taking opportunity by the commandment, produced in me all manner of evil desire. For apart from the law sin was dead."
But sin, taking opportunity by the commandments: Paul describes the dynamic where the warning "don't do that" may become a call to action because of our sinful, rebellious hearts. It isn't the fault of the commandment, but it is our fault.
Once God draws a boundary for us, we are immediately enticed to cross that boundary - which is no fault of God or His boundary, but the fault of our sinful hearts.
Apart from the law, sin was dead: This shows how great the evil of sin is - it can take something good and holy like the law and twist it to promote evil. Sin warps love into lust, an honest desire to provide into greed, and law into a promoter of sin.
Oh Dear Lord, you know my sinful and rebellious heart and how the boundaries that you draw can make sin more enticing to my sinful heart.  This nature makes me so much more aware of the fact that I am dead in my sins and unable to save myself.  Thank you so much for saving me into eternal life with you!

No comments: