Thursday, August 20, 2015

Reading through Romans-God is Holy

9:17     For the scripture saith unto Pharaoh, Even for this same purpose have I raised thee up, that I might show my power in thee, and that my name might be declared throughout all the earth.
In verse 9:17, Paul used the story of Pharaoh as another allegory of God’s election, or fulfilling his purposes. The words this same purpose, auto-touto, actually means the same "thing." It does indicate a sense of will as we normally associate with the word "purpose." Why did God do this? So that his power might be shown.
Pharaoh was also raised up that "that my name might be declared throughout all the earth." A person’s name calls to mind all the attributes that go with that person. This is also true of God.
Notice, too, that Paul personified the scripture when he said, "the scripture saith unto Pharaoh."  This personification infers that it is God who is speaking since all scripture is the word of God. Such personification was a common manner of speaking and writing.
Dear God, I recognize your Holiness and submit to your Holy Name!

No comments: