Saturday, August 8, 2015

Reading through Romans-Praying for those who don't yet know God

9
Romans 9"1-2 "I tell the truth in Christ, I am not lying, my conscience also bearing me witness in the Holy Spirit, that I have great sorrow and continual grief in my heart."
In Romans chapters one through eight, Paul thoroughly convinced us about man's need and God's glorious provision in Jesus Christ and through the Holy Spirit.
Now, in Romans 9 through 11, Paul deals with the problem associated with the condition of Israel. What does it mean that Israel has missed its Messiah? What does this say about God? What does it say about Israel? What does it say about our present position in God?
The question goes something like this: How can I be secure in God's love and salvation to me when it seems that Israel was once loved and saved, but now seems to be rejected and cursed? Will God also reject and curse me one day?
"If God cannot bring his ancient people into salvation, how do Christians know that he can save them? Paul is not here proceeding to a new and unrelated subject. These three chapters are part of the way he makes plain how God in fact saves people." (Morris)
Paul's sorrow.
I tell the truth in Christ, I am not lying, my conscience also bearing me witness in the Holy Spirit, that I have great sorrow and continual grief in my heart.
I have great sorrow and continued grief in my heart: In Romans eight, Paul left us at the summit of glory, assuring us that nothing can separate us from the loved of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord. So why has Paul now become so somber in his tone?
Paul has sorrow and continual grief because now he considers a people who seem to be separated from God's love: unbelieving Israel, who rejected God's Messiah.
I tell the truth in Christ, I am not lying, my conscience also bearing me witness in the Holy Spirit: Paul uses every possible assurance to declare his great sorrow over Israel. This is something that really bothered Paul and was on his heart.
Dear Holy God, Thank you for drawing me to yourself through the love of Jesus Christ.  I pray for all of my dear friends and family, that they may also know the sweet assurance of eternal life through your sacrifice.  May I trust that your love for them is even greater than mine and that you are seeking them every minute.

No comments: