Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Reading through Romans-God's Omnipotence

914
9:14     What shall we say then? Is there unrighteousness with God? God forbid.
Paul continued his argument in verse 9:14 by asking questions designed to make his readers think. From a fleshly point of view, the case of Jacob and Esau appears to be one of favoritism, so Paul faced this possibility directly and his question went right to the heart of the matter. Can men charge God with playing favorites as some parents do with their children? His answer was, "God forbid."  No! God would never do that. In fact, the scriptures tell us that God is not a respecter of any man; he does not play favorites.
Paul used the negative me when he asked, "Is there unrighteousness with God?" When me it used with a question it demands the answer, "No." This was a common construction in the Greek language. Therefore, the grammar leaves no doubt about Paul’s intention when he asked the question.
9:15     For he saith to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion. (Verse 9:15 was a reference to Exodus 33:19.)
"And he said, I will make all my goodness pass before thee, and I will proclaim the name of the Lord before thee; and will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and will show mercy on whom I will show mercy."
In context, this verse refers to the time when Moses asked to see Jehovah’s glory. There is a great deal to be learned in these verses from Exodus. Grace precedes mercy, and is always the first attribute of God. Mercy follows grace, and compassion follows mercy.
There is some dispute about whether mercyeleeoo, or compassion,oikteireso, is the stronger. Thayer (p. 203) says,
Mercy is the feeling, and compassion is the act brought about by the feeling.
But, lest we lose the trend of Paul’s thoughts, remember that this verse was in answer to his earlier questions. Here, he used scripture to indicate that God has the right to show mercy and compassion on whomever he chooses. God is not under any obligation to show mercy or compassion to anyone; it comes entirely from his grace, and grace does not depend upon the character or goodness of those to whom it is given.
This point is often missed by those who still live with a spiritual "us and them" complex. God has no "us and them" in his mind. He loves everyone equally regardless of their status, and his grace allows him a full range of actions. He is The God, and there is no unrighteousness with him. He always acts in a righteous manner even though we humans might not consider him impartial. However, who are we to judge The God?
Dear Holy God, Forgive me for the times I've judged You!  I praise you and your Holiness and ask that you help me to lean into you more and more until I am trusting You completely!

No comments: