Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Reading through the Bible-Freedom from the law

612
1 Corinthians 6:12, "All things are lawful for me, but all things are not helpful. All things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any."
All things are lawful for me: This was probably a phrase Paul had used in teaching the Corinthian Christians about Christian liberty. We can almost hear Paul telling the Corinthians exactly what he told the Colossians in Colossians 2:16-17: "When it comes to what we eat or drink or on what day we worship the Lord, all things are lawful for me. I am at liberty, and I should not let anyone put me under bondage, as legalists are prone to do."
But all things are not helpful: The Corinthian Christians took the idea all things are lawful and applied it to areas Paul, or the Lord, never intended. 
I will not be brought under the power of any: In this phrase, Paul uses a verb he uses again only in 1 Corinthians 7:4, in the context of a husband and wife having "authority" over each other's bodies. Paul may be saying I will not be brought under the power of anybody (as in the body of a prostitute).
Dear God, I thank you for the freedom from the law that my new life in Christ has given to me.  I pray that you will keep me close to You and free from returning to bondage to anything!

No comments: