Saturday, December 5, 2015

Reading through the Bible-Judgment

535
1 Corinthians 5:3-5, "For I indeed, as absent in body but present in spirit, have already judged (as though I were present) him who has so done this deed. In the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, when you are gathered together, along with my spirit, with the power of our Lord Jesus Christ, deliver such a one to Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that his spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus."
Absent in body by present in spirit: When Paul mentions his spirit being present, he isn't speaking of astral-projection in the early church. He is truly represented in their midst by his letter, which was a valid spiritual extension of his apostolic authority.
For I indeed … have already judged: Is Paul disobeying what Jesus said in Matthew 7:1-5? After all, "judge not, let you be judged!"
Some judgment is permitted, and some is not. "While Christians are not to judge one another's motives or ministries, we are certainly expected to be honest about each other's conduct." (Wiersbe)
How could they deliver such a one to Satan? By putting him outside the church, into the world, which is the devil's "domain." The punishment is a removal of spiritual protection and social comfort, not an infliction of evil.
The purpose of putting this man outside the spiritual protection and social comfort of the church was the destruction of the flesh, not the body, but his rebellious flesh.
That his spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus: The goal of the discipline is clear: the salvation, not the destruction, of his spirit.
Dear God, I pray that I may be under your judgment always and that I am open to the wisdom of those who love me enough to share your judgment of You with me as well.

No comments: