Sunday, September 20, 2015

Reading through Romans-Living in the humility of knowing our sinfulness

123
Romans 12:3, "For I say, through the grace given to me, to everyone who is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think, but to think soberly, as God has dealt to each one a measure of faith."
To everyone among you: Paul will soon speak about how we should exercise spiritual gifts in the body of Christ; but a preface warning about humility is in order, given the inordinate pride that often arises from those who regard themselves as spiritually gifted.
We should remember that spiritual giftedness does not equal spiritual maturity; just because a person has substantial spiritual gifts does not mean that they are necessarily spiritually mature or a worthy example to imitate.
Not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think: Paul does not advise any kind of masochistic attitude, but rather he tells us to see the truth about ourselves. When we see ourselves as we really are, it is impossible to be given over to pride.
The idea of as God has dealt to each one a measure of faith is probably that we should see even our saving faith as a gift from God, and that we have no basis for pride or a superior opinion of ourselves.
Dear Lord, you know that I tend to see myself as more than I am.  Please forgive me, and help me to remember that I am valuable only because of your love for me.

No comments: