Thursday, September 10, 2015

Reading through Romans-Provoking others to salvation

1115
Romans 11;11-14, "I say then, have they stumbled that they should fall?  Certainly not! But through their fall, to provoke them to jealousy, salvation has come to the Gentiles. Now if their fall is riches for the world, and their failure riches for the Gentiles, how much more their fullness! For I speak to you Gentiles; inasmuch as I am an apostle to the Gentiles, I magnify my ministry, if by any means I may provoke to jealousy those who are my flesh and save some of them."
God's plan in saving only a remnant at the present time.
No, God had a specific purpose to fulfill in allowing Israel to stumble - so that salvation would come to the Gentiles.
Through their fall … salvation has come to the Gentiles: We should not forget that in many instances the gospel only went out to the Gentiles after the Jewish people rejected it (Acts 13:4618:5-628:25-28). In this sense, the rejection of the gospel by the Jews was riches for the Gentiles.
It wasn't that the Jewish rejection of Jesus was Messiah caused Gentiles to be saved. It merely gave more opportunity for the gospel to go to the Gentiles, and many Gentiles took advantage of this opportunity.
If by any means I may provoke to jealousy: Yet, Paul's desire isn't only that these riches would be enjoyed by the Gentiles only, but that the Jews would be provoked to a good kind of jealousy, motivating them to receive some of the blessings the Gentiles enjoyed.
"It is a matter for profound regret that just as Israel refused to accept this salvation when it was offered to them, so the Gentiles have all too often refused to make Israel envious. Instead of showing to God's ancient people the attractiveness of the Christian way Christians have characteristically treated the Jews with hatred, prejudice, persecution, malice, and all uncharitableness. Christians should not take this passage calmly." (Morris)
Dear God, I am so thankful for your gift of salvation and I pray that, if it is your desire, that it may also provoke jealousy for salvation through you to others who I love!

No comments: