Friday, November 27, 2015

Reading through the Bible-God as my judge

44
1 Corinthians 4:3-5, "But with me it is a very small thing that I should be judged by you or by a human court. In fact, I do not even judge myself. For I know nothing against myself, yet I am not justified by this; but He who judges me is the Lord. Therefore judge nothing before the time, until the Lord comes, who will both bring to light the hidden things of darkness and reveal the counsels of the hearts. Then each one's praise will come from God."
It is a very small thing that I should be judged by you: Paul insists that their (low) estimation of him really matters little; it is what God judges that is important (he who judges me is the Lord).
In fact, I do not even judge myself: Even our estimation of our self is usually wrong. We are almost always too hard or too easy on ourselves. Paul recognizes this, and so will suspend judgment even upon himself. In the end, he who judges me is the Lord.
For I know nothing against myself, yet I am not justified by this: Paul also recognizes that he does not stand in a perfect state of justification or innocence just because his conscience was clear. Paul knew his righteousness came from Jesus, not from his own personal life.
Therefore judge nothing before the time: It is as if Paul were saying, "You Corinthians act like judges at athletic events, qualified to give some the trophy and to send others away as losers. But Jesus is the only judge, and you are judging before the events are over."
Who will both bring to light the hidden things of darkness and reveal the counsels of men's hearts: When Jesus judges, it will be according to the motives of the heart, not only the outward action. This is another reason why human judgment is often wrong, and why Paul feels free to disregard the harsh judgment of the Corinthian Christians towards himself.
Dear God, I submit myself to Your judgment and pray that Your Spirit will convict and instruct me daily.

No comments: