Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Reading through the Bible-The simple gospel

114
1 Corinthians 1:14-17, "I thank God that I baptized none of you except Crispus and Gaius, lest anyone should say that I had baptized in my own name. Yes, I also baptized the household of Stephanas. Besides, I do not know whether I baptized any other. For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel, not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of no effect."
I thank God … Christ did not send me to baptize: For Paul, preaching was more important than baptizing, though he was certainly not opposed to baptism. Yet, we can see by this that baptism is not essential to salvation. If it were - if the teaching of baptismal regeneration were true - then Paul could never thank God that he baptized so few in Corinth, and he, as an evangelist, could never say Christ did not send me to baptize.
That Paul did not regard baptism as essential to salvation is also seen by the fact that he did not keep careful track of whom he had baptized:Besides, I do not know whether I baptized any other. Surely, Paul remembered his converts, but the issue of baptism, though important, was not as important to Paul.
This passage also makes it clear that the individual doing the baptizing doesn't really affect the validity of the baptism. Those baptized by the great apostle Paul had no advantage over those baptized by some unknown believer. The power of baptism is in the spiritual reality it represents.
How did Paul preach in Corinth? Not with the wisdom of words (cleverness of speaking). Paul came speaking plainly, without any attempt to dazzle with eloquence or intellect.
Lest the cross of Christ should be made of no effect: Paul makes it clear that it is possible to preach the gospel in a way that makes it of no effect. If one preaches the word with a reliance on wisdom of words, they can make the gospel of no effect.
How sobering this is! The great gospel of Jesus Christ, the very power of God unto salvation - made empty and of no effect through the pride and cleverness of men! This danger was constantly on the mind of the apostle Paul, and should be constantly on the mind of any preacher or teacher.
Dear God, thank you for the simplicity and elegance of your gospel!

No comments: